Three Stages of Salvation
Hebrews 2:3 says “How shall we escape¹ª if we have neglected so great a salvation,¹ª which, having had its beginning in being spoken by the Lord, has been confirmed to us by those who heard”.
Salvation here refers back to what is mentioned in 1:14. It is God’s full salvation, from the forgiveness of sins to the sharing of the coming kingdom with glory. It refers not only to what Christ has done and will do for us but also to Himself, the One who is able to save us to the uttermost (7:25). As the Son of God —as God —and as the Son of Man —as man —He is our salvation. His wonderful person plus His splendid work constitute so great a salvation, a salvation that none of us should neglect. Our negligence will cause us to miss this great salvation’s (1) most precious part —the enjoying of Christ as our saving life and rest in this age; and (2) most glorious part —the inheriting of Christ’s kingdom with glory in the coming age.
Man is of three parts: spirit, soul and body. God’s salvation is of three stages to fully save this three-part man.
The first stage of salvation is the initial stage. This stage saves our spirit. God has done this firstly by His death on the cross to take care of our objective problem before God. Second, as the life-giving Spirit, He has regenerated us in our spirit. This stage includes redemption, forgiveness of sins, cleansing of sins, justification and reconciliation. The result is regeneration. This is the beginning of the Christian life.
The second stage is the progressing stage. This stage saves us in our soul. Although God is now in our human spirit through regeneration, our soul is still full of Satan’s nature. We think evil thoughts. We lie and hate others. We are jealous and full of our own opinions. We love what God hates and hate what God loves. We are evil, we are sin, and even in a certain sense, we are Satan. But, we are also Christians who have received the divine life into us. In this stage, God deals with our evil soul. Regeneration only puts Christ into our spirit. We need to allow Christ to spread into our soul day by day. This will take our entire lifetime. By opening to Him, by praying and by confessing our sins, we allow Him to spread in us. This spreading is our sanctification. In this way, He deposits His holy nature into our soul from our spirit. At the same time He transforms us from an old man to a new man, from being full of the satanic life to being full of God.
The third stage is the completing stage. In this stage our body is saved and God’s full salvation reaches its climax. It is the result of the second stage. Leaving the starting block in the race is the initial stage. Running the course is the progressing stage. Crossing the finish line is the completing stage. You cannot cross the finish line unless you have started and progressed in the course of the race. The faster you progress, the earlier you will complete the race.
This stage is glorious. It finally solves all our problems and consummates God’s eternal purpose. In this stage, our body is conformed to the body of the Lord’s glory. Our body is transfigured, glorified. We inherit God’s kingdom to reign with Christ as co-kings and obtain the topmost enjoyment of the Lord. By this stage, our spirit will be full of life due to regeneration. Our soul will be full of Christ due to sanctification and transformation. We will think the way God thinks. We will love what God loves and hate what He hates. Our will will always choose what God would choose, and our body will be full of the glory of the Lord. Then we will fully be sons of God, full of God’s life, expressing God and representing Him eternally. Through all of this process, we will be built together as the glorious church, the New Jerusalem. Hallelujah! God will be fully satisfied and we will be fully saved!
We can only arrive at this stage by being initially saved and then by being sanctified and transformed. Brothers and sisters, don’t you want to arrive at the third stage? If you do, then go on to enjoy Him as the Spirit and the Word. Then, cooperate with Him daily. Allow Him to spread in you by always following His leading within you and by confessing your sins and shortcomings to Him. In these ways, you will go on from the initial stage of your salvation through the progressive stage, and you will enter into the full enjoyment of your salvation in the completing stage.
See Compendium of God’s Full Salvation (LSM),
Chapter 20 and 26;
Holy Bible- Recovery Version with foot notes
1. Life-study of Matthew (Lee/LSM), p. 587.
2. Life-study of Romans (Lee/LSM), pp. 13, 252-254, 273-275, 453-454, 494-495, 556, 565-566.
3. Life-study of Colossians (Lee/LSM), pp. 245-246, 525-526.
4. Life-study of Second Corinthians (Lee/LSM), pp. 33-34, 105-106, 524, 526-529.
5. Life-study of Genesis (Lee/LSM), pp. 124-125.
6. The Kingdom (Lee/LSM), p. 390.
7. Life-study of Hebrews (Lee/LSM), pp. 104-105, 136-137, 230-231, 263-264, 422-423.
8. Life-study of Ephesians (Lee/LSM), pp. 168, 314-315, 434, 480-481, 551-552.
9. Life-study of John (Lee/LSM), pp. 67-68, 218, 383, 407-409, 458, 491, 565-567.
10. The Divine Dispensing of the Divine Trinity (Lee/LSM), pp. 223, 234.
11. The Spirit and Body (Lee/LSM), p. 25.
12. Life-study of Philippians (Lee/LSM), pp. 86, 97-98, 328, 338, 340-342, 356-357, 364, 383.
13. Life-study of Revelation (Lee/LSM), p. 428.
14. Young People’s Training (Lee/LSM), pp. 179-180.
15. Life-study of First Peter (Lee/LSM), pp. 92, 129, 134, 303-305.
16. Life-study of Exodus (Lee/LSM), pp. 407, 550, 888-889.
17. The Kernel of the Bible (Lee/LSM), p. 17.
18. Life-study of First Corinthians (Lee/LSM), pp. 418, 523-524.
19. Experiencing Christ as the Offerings for the Church Meetings (Lee/LSM), pp. 25-26, 52.
20. Life Messages, vol. 1 (Lee/LSM), p. 256.
21. Concerning the Triune God, the Father, the Son, and the Spirit (Lee/LSM), pp. 1-5.
22. The Stream (Lee/LSM), vol. 4, no. 2, p. 13.
23. Truth Messages (Lee/LSM), pp. 9-10, 16-18.
24. Perfecting Training (Lee/LSM), pp. 341-343, 347-350.
25. Experience of Christ (Lee/LSM), pp. 45-46.
26. The Experience of Life (Lee/LSM), pp. 151-152, 244.
27. The Economy of God (Lee/LSM), pp. 73, 90-93.
28. The Parts of Man (Lee/LSM), pp. 21-22, 33.
29. Life-study of Galatians (Lee/LSM), pp. 242, 251-252.
30. Life-study of Second Peter (Lee/LSM), pp. 27-28, 45.